Sunday 12 May 2013

Celebrating our Mothers

It's Mothers Day today - that special day in the year when we celebrate our mums.

Hosting Mother's Day lunch this year I decided to make elements of the meal a tribute to two wonderful women I have been blessed to have in my life - my mum, and my mother-in-law.

Following my last post I made my first pitta, including the filo pastry, from scratch. It was superb - and as it was my tribute to my mother-in-law I was thrilled when it met it her exacting standards and disappeared off the dish just as quickly as hers does!

My mum - who sadly passed away three years ago, 77 years young - is the person who singlehandedly  inspired my love of food and cooking. She was an amazing cook! As I went through the old brown book into which I have, since a young bride, handwritten recipes that are 'keepers', I was struck by how many of them start with 'Mum's...' I intend to share these in future blog posts, so you will see what I mean!


I finally chose to make her Mulberry Pie. A very long time ago next to the recipe I had written 'Truly Magnifique!' I tried to recall - without success - how long it had been since Mum served this at a past gathering of our family.

My efforts were rewarded! The pie was stunning! Served warm with a quenelle of vanilla icecream, pouring cream and a drizzle of coulis  made from the excess juice that came out of the berries - it was every bit as sweet and tart and delicious as I remember it! Two grandsons - who can be a bit fussy about what they will eat, and who are too young to remember their Great Granny's family favourite - went back for seconds! Mum would have loved that! I certainly did!

The decision to celebrate Mother's Day in this way was a huge success. Everyone just loved the family favourites I had prepared - and I was so proud to have been able to pay homage to these two wonderful women in this way.

It was an especially poignant way remember my beautiful mum - who I miss dearly every day - but the memories recalled were of family, love, laughter and wonderful shared tables at the farm.

Happy Mothers Day, Mum!




No comments:

Post a Comment

 photo SSBADGE_zps2de55d46.gif