Thursday 21 March 2013

Apricot Tart

I love apricots - they are surely one of the most delectable of summer fruits! I have wonderful summer memories of eating warm, juicy, freshly picked apricots from a tree that had pride of place in my parent's garden. The bountiful apricot harvests were made into wonderful jams and chutneys, as well as being preserved, stewed, frozen and baked!

Given how versatile and easily available the humble apricot is here in Australia  I am constantly amazed at how few apricot recipes are featured in the cookbooks I love to collect! To address this oversight I will endeavour share the best apricot recipes I know with you!

It is fitting therefore that the first featured dish of my blog is ..... Apricot Tart!

To make this tart I made a sweet shortcrust pastry which I blind baked until it was just starting to turn golden. I then spread a frangipane mixture over the base, followed a layer of sweetened stewed apricots (about 500grams). The tart was topped with apricot halves that I had gently poached in a light sugar syrup. The tart was then baked in a moderate oven until the frangipane and crust were cooked nicely - and my kitchen smelled divine!

Served warm with fresh cream this was just beautiful!

If you have a favourite apricot recipe I'd love to hear from you!

2 comments:

  1. I can smell it. Details of the frangipane mixture would be helpful. Great start to your foodblog and I look forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your lovely feedback! There are many frangipane recipes around. Matt Moran, acclaimed Australian chef, has a good one that featured in a Masterclass on Australian Masterchef - one of my most favourite programs.

    Check it out on this link - http://www.masterchef.com.au/recipes/frangipane-tart.htm

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

 photo SSBADGE_zps2de55d46.gif